- 1 can (roughly 400g) chickpeas (not drained)
- 3 garlic gloves
- 1 lemon
- 1 level tsp salt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 tbsp tahini
- Take the garlic cloves, crush them with the side of a knife and remove the skin. Put the whole cloves into a large microwavable bowl.
- Open the tin of chickpeas and pour the contents into a bowl. Using your finger and thumb, squeeze each chickpea gently to remove the skin. Add the chickpea to the bowl with the garlic and discard the skin.
- Once all the chickpeas have been de-skinned, add the liquid into the bowl with the garlic and chickpeas.
- Put the chickpeas and garlic into the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Whilst the chickpeas are heating, put the tahini, salt and the juice of half a lemon into a food processor or blender. Blend until the colour lightens and becomes creamy looking.
- Add the heated chickpea and garlic mixture to the blender and stream in the oil whilst mixing.
- Keep blending until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. I like it quite lemony so I often add in the juice from the other lemon half.
- Refrigerate to thicken and develop in flavour.